How to Root and Install TWRP Asus ROG Phone 2 – If you are an HP user who wants to customize, flash files, etc. on an Android device and are using an Asus ROG Phone 2 smartphone or planning to buy one, this guide is for you. Here in this article, I will share with you the Easy Way to Root and Install TWRP on Asus ROG Phone 2 ZS660KL Using Magisk.
How to Root and Install TWRP Asus ROG Phone 2
Asus ROG Phone 2 Specifications
The Asus ROG Phone 2 comes with a 6.59-inch Full-HD + AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080 × 2340 pixels, 120Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and 10-bit HDR support. It’s powered by an octa-core 2.9GHz Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC, pairing up to 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM. While the internal storage is available in 128GB / 512GB UFS 3.0 options. It features dual front-facing stereo speakers with DTS: X Ultra support.
Also, read related article:
- How to Root Samsung Galaxy A50 Without PC (100% Working)
- How to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi GO
- How to Root Samsung Galaxy A40 (100% Working)
- How To Root Lenovo A6000 Plus Without PC (100% Working)
- How to Root and Install TWRP Xiaomi Mi 8 (100% Working)
The ROG Phone 2 features a 48MP primary camera with a 13MP wide-angle secondary camera offering a 125-degree field of view along with an LED flash. While the front features a 24MP selfie shooter. It runs on a ROG UI based on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. Though the company has mentioned that users can switch to Stock Android UI in the future.
In terms of connectivity options, it includes Wi-Fi 802.11a / b / g / n / ac, WiFi-Direct, NFC, 3.5mm audio jack, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C port, etc. It has side-mounted connectors as well for gaming accessories. You can easily install a game emulator for better gameplay.
The phone includes an accelerometer, compass, proximity, hall sensor, ambient light sensor, in-display fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, and ultrasonic sensor.
Meanwhile, the ROG Phone 2 has a massive 6,000 mAh battery with 30W ROG HyperCharge technology. Asus claims that the battery will be 7 hours of PUBG gameplay @ 60Hz refresh rate at full charge.
What is Root?
Root for Android means it is similar to jailbreaking the device to gain access to the root directory of your android phone. This will give you superuser access as administrator to use your device via the Android subsystem and system apps.
Although sometimes improper root can damage your phone or void your smartphone warranty (if any). But it will give you some loose power and access to change or edit system settings, themes, icons, install other mod files, etc.
How to Root Asus ROG Phone 2 Pie 9.0
The International variant of the Asus ROG Phone 2 comes with a flexible bootloader in addition to several locked devices. Example- At Samsung, Verizon phones come with a locked Bootloader. This means that different variants of smartphones can be easily rooted. Apart from that, the device can accept installing TWRP or other custom recovery files/apps.
TWRP is a special Recovery file that must be installed on your device as you can root it successfully. In this article, we explain the easiest way to root and install TWRP on Asus ROG Phone 2.However, the tool needed to root this device is the Magisk App.
With the help of TWRP Recovery, you can quickly flash the latest version of Magisk onto your ROG Phone 2 to get root access. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, with TWRP recovery that is on your device, you can easily install a custom ROM or custom firmware. Does this look complicated? Relax, everything will be explained briefly in bullets.
Things to check;
- Make sure your device battery is charged above 50%
- Back up your current files and data, complete the data loss process (save on external storage).
- Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your phone. To do this; go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process on the Asus ROG Phone 2.
- Also, Download ADB drivers. Install it on your PC.
- Download Magisk.Zip (Latest Version) and Copy it to Your Pen Drive using an OTG Cable.
- Download and save the TWRP File, Extract it on your PC and rename it to recovery. img. Copy this file to ADB Folder. Download TWRP Installer and Copy this file to your mobile external Storage using OTG Cable. You can also sideload these files to your phone after you boot into TWRP If you can’t use this OTG method.
- Download Decryption (Supports up to Pie) and Save it on your phone.
Unlock Bootloader using Official APK File
- Download ROG Phone 2 Unlock Utility and Install it on your phone. If you can’t install, Enable Unknown Sources in Settings.
- Open the application and follow the instructions on the screen.
- After the process is complete, your phone’s Bootloader is unlocked. Restart your phone.
- Check again to enable “Developer Options,” then go to “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock and Enable “Advanced Reboot.” Sometimes they disable themselves after booting.
How to Install TWRP Asus ROG Phone 2 using ADB and Fastboot
- Turn off your device. Connect your phone to your PC. Then, enter Fastboot mode. To do this; Press and hold Volume Down + Power button simultaneously for some time. This will boot your phone into Fastboot mode.
- Now, connect the Asus ROG Phone 2 to the computer via USB cable.
- Open ADB and Fastboot folder, Launch fastboot on your computer. Open a command prompt on your PC and type the below command.
- It should show connected devices. If you don’t get the device, restart the command prompt and Disconnect and Connect your phone. If you are detected, type the command below and press Enter.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- After the process is complete, It will boot into TWRP temporarily. Don’t Boot into standard OS until we flash magisk.
How to Install TWRP Installer, Magisk, Root, and Decrypt on your Asus ROG Phone 2 using TWRP
- Choose Wipe-> Wipe Advanced-> Select Cached Data.
- Return to TWRP Home select Install.
- Select Decrypt.zip.
- After Installing Again, navigate to Home and Select Install.
- Select TWRP Installer.Zip. In the same way, Install Magisk.zip. After successful installation, Reboot your phone.
- You can also install Magisk Manager on your Mobile App to Root your Asus ROG Phone 2. Install Root checker to verify your Root Status.
So that’s the complete guide on how to root Asus ROG Phone 2 along with a guide to install TWRP on ROG Phone 2. If you are facing an error while rooting your device, be sure to let us know in the comments section.