How to Root and Install TWRP Xiaomi MI A2 and MI A2 Lite – Here we will learn about how to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2 and Mi A2 Lite without PC. After you finish installing, you can root your phone using TWRP and can Install Custom ROM on Mi A2.
How to Root and Install TWRP Xiaomi MI A2 and MI A2 Lite
The Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite was released a few months ago, following the huge success of its predecessor, Mi A1. It is also part of the Google Android One program, meaning it runs the Stock Android OS without any modifications or skins from the manufacturer, offering users a clean and decent Android experience.
Also, read related article:
- 4 Ways to Root Realme C1 Easily (100% Working)
- 4 Ways to Root and Install TWRP Oppo F1S Without PC
- 3 Ways to Root Redmi 4A Without PC (100% Working)
- How to Root and Install TWRP Redmi 5A (100% Working)
Both phones are equipped with decent hardware, run Android Oreo 8.1 out-of-the-box, and are now upgradeable to Android Pie.
Thanks to XDA Senior Member Manish4586 and the official TWRP team, I will now share how to install TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A2 (code name: jasmine_sprout) and Mi A2 Lite (code name: daisy respectively). This means we can get root access by flashing Magisk. . I have compiled an easy step-by-step tutorial here on how to install TWRP and root Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite.
Xiaomi Mi A2 Specifications:
|Display Technology||Display||LTPS IPS LCD|
|Screen resolution||1080 x 2160 Pixel|
|Screen size||5.99 inches|
|Protected by||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|Operating system||Android 8.1 (Oreo); Android One|
|Dust and water-resistant||Not|
|CPU / GPU||Processor Chipset||Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660|
|CPU||Octa-core 1.8 GHz Kryo 260|
|Memory||RAM||4 / 6GB|
|Internal memory||32/64/128 GB|
|Can Be Expanded Up to||No microSD support|
|Camera||Back||Dual 12MP + 20 with f / 1.8, phase detection autofocus, LED flash|
|Front||20 MP (MP = Megapixels)|
|Battery||3010 mAh Non-RemovableDual|
|Fingerprint Scanner||Yes, back-mounted|
|Other Sensors||Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass|
|Connectivity||Dual SIM, Bluetooth, 4G voLTE, GPS, 3.5mm headphone jack, Type C USB|
|Size||158.7 x 75.4 x 7.3 mm|
- First and foremost, make sure you take a full backup of all the data on your phone. This includes messages, contacts, and anything else you think you need.
- Charge the device battery to at least 60%.
- Enable USB debugging: To do this, go to the device ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘About phone. Keep tapping on ‘Build number’ until you see ‘You are now a developer!’ toast notification on the screen.
- Also, enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options. For that, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ and tap on ‘Developer options. Scroll down and activate the ‘OEM Unlocking’ switch.
- To install TWRP and Root the Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite, you must first unlock the bootloader.
- Make sure to install Android platform-tools on Minimal ADB PC and Fastboot tools.
Root the Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite is a 3-step process, as is the case with almost every modern Android device. This basically involves – (1) Unlocking the bootloader, (2) Flashing TWRP recovery, and finally (3) Flashing Magisk to root the Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite.
For Mi A2 Lite, I have also provided TWRP which supports data encryption on Android Pie. If TWRP doesn’t work for you then you can use the unofficial version. The building is sourced from here. Also, note that you will still need to format the / data partition to be able to use the internal storage in TWRP.
- Download TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A2 (jasmine_sprout):
- Download TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (daisy):
- Universal DM-Verity and Forab Encryption Disabler (Many thanks to Zackptg5! ): Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_10.20.2019.zip
- The latest Magisk Zip Installer from here.
What is TWRP Recovery:
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project is a touch-based and open-source custom recovery for Android devices. This is the best custom recovery after ClockworkMod (aka CWM). Unlike Stock Recovery, TWRP helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, or even root any Android device in just a few simple steps.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite
Since Mi A2 / A2 Lite is equipped with an A / B partition system, which means, you have to boot TWRP image first on your phone. Once booted, you can simply flash the TWRP installer zip to permanently install TWRP recovery on Mi A2 / A2 Lite.
- Download the TWRP img and zip installer for your Mi A2 / A2 Lite
- Copy the downloaded file to the folder where ADB and fastboot binaries are present (eg C: \ ADB)
- While holding the SHIFT key, right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open a PowerShell window here’ option
- Turn off your Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite completely
- Hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together to boot your phone into Fastboot Mode
- Next, connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable
- Enter the following command to temporarily boot TWRP img:
- on Xiaomi Mi A2: fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1-0-jasmine_sprout.img
- On the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite: fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1-dees_troy-daisy.img
- After entering the command, your phone will need to enter TWRP
- In TWRP, go to ‘Advanced’> ‘ADB Sideload’ and slide the switch at the bottom
- Finally, enter the following command to sideload and permanently install TWRP on the Xiaomi Mi A2: ADB sideload TWRP-installer-3.3.1-0-jasmine_sprout.zip On Mi A2 Lite: ADB sideload TWRP-installer-3.3.1-dees_troy-daisy .zip
Once installed, you can use TWRP to root your phone, flash Custom ROMs, etc.
Note that TWRP cannot decrypt storage (/ data partition) on Android Pie. If you are using Android Oreo, you can jump straight to the root hint. But if you are using Pie, you will need to follow the instructions in the next section first.
Format the Data Partition and Disable Encryption (Android Pie only)
Because TWRP doesn’t support encryption on Android Pie. It is important to first format the data partition in TWRP and flash the forced encryption disabler to root Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite on Android Pie. Even if you don’t want to root, it’s important to do this, to be able to access the storage in TWRP.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’> ‘Format Data’
- Enter ‘yes’ in the provided field and slide the button to format the data partition on your Mi A2 / A2 Lite
- Once formatted, go to the ‘Install’ menu and tap ‘Enable MTP’
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable
- Download the Forced-Encrypt Disabler zip file
- Transfer downloaded files to phone storage
- Disconnect the phone and go to the main TWRP menu
- Tap on ‘Install’ and select the ‘Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_08.18.2019.zip’ file
- Finally, swipe the button to flash the file and install the Forced-Encryption Disabler on your Mi A2 / A2 Lite.
After the flashing process is complete, you can reboot your phone by pressing the ‘Reboot System’ button. With encryption disabled, you can now easily root your phone by installing the latest Magisk zip installer. Just follow the instructions in the section below.
What Does Root Mean?
Root doesn’t mean hacking. So please don’t compare the terms hacking to rooting. In fact, that’s not true at all. Well, Rooting for Android means nothing but jailbreaking the device to get access to the root directory of your android phone. This means you are removing restrictions and restrictions from your Android Phone or Tablet to perform unworkable tasks.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite
- Download the latest Magisk zip
- Connect your Mi A2 / A2 Lite to PC using a USB cable
- Copy the downloaded Magisk zip file to the phone’s internal storage
- Disconnect the phone and turn it off completely
- Hold Volume Up and Power button together to boot your Mi A2 device into TWRP mode
- In TWRP, tap on the ‘Install’ button and select the ‘Magisk-v19.4.zip’ file
- Finally, slide the button to flash Magisk and root the Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite
- After the flashing process is complete, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button.
When your phone boots up, you need to have Magisk Manager in your apps menu and have full root access with a working TWRP (Even on Android Pie!). If you want to verify if your device has been successfully rooted, download and run the Root Checker app from the Play Store.
We wish you success on how to install TWRP and root Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite useful. If you have any questions or if you get stuck at any step, feel free to leave a comment below, and I’ll try my best to help you out.